Wednesday, July 22, 2009

KKK Robe May Hold Clues...Stone Mountain

So...I think the title of this post says it all...ohh CNN. Thanks again for your randomness. The worse line of this 1 minute story is..."Possibly this robe may have be engaged in some type of conflict, maybe shot at...there were blood stains on there." Thanks Mr. Chism for your insightful comment into a 1950's kkk robe. Wtf...is he not aware of what the kkk is?

And then the whole fact that his robe may hold "clues." Clues to what...that the kkk killed and victimized thousands of blacks throughout history...ga-reat.



So anybody from Metro Atlanta is aware of Stone Mountain and how that was where the kkk was reborn. And just in case you forget there is a Confederate Memorial carved into the side... of Jefferson Davis, Robert E. Lee, and "Stonewall" Jackson...

So thanks to wikipedia I was reminded of how ridiculous the whole thing is, but as a Georgia Native (I hate to say that), you don't really think about it...For some reason I remember watching a video on the kkk in class...I don't remember if it was my 8th grade GA history class or 9th grade American history class. All I could think was half the places they were naming were in GA. Looking back, I don't think that video was appropriate...maybe there should have been clips of it, but not the whole thing. Then again, most of GA history was about how GA was the most racist state in the Confederacy, oops I mean the USA...lol.

That was also a very volatile year because that was when the whole "Confederate flag" controversy began because the old GA flag was pretty much the confederate flag with a small seal in the side. That was the flag from 1956-2001...ga-reat. But when a senator proposed it be changed that is when the true "confederates" came out... And people say we are in a post-racial nation...puh-lease...come to GA.

So the description of the laser show at Stn. Mtn. (which is a guilty pleasure of mine), makes it seem sooo very backwards and just down right sad.

The famous Stone Mountain Laser Show Spectacular is a colorful lightshow of lasers projecting moving images of the Deep South as well as Georgia history onto the Confederate carving on the side of the mountain. The laser show is accompanied by a compilation of themed musical works. At dusk hundreds of onlookers sit upon the grassed hill celebrating their American and Southern heritages.

Are the images really of the deep south though? lol. I guess so...whenever I leave the show I feel just a tad bit brainwashed...oh well. The laser show is shown daily and there are always hundreds of people there...makes me wonder...hmm... I have a weakness for fireworks and bright lights...lol. And the laser show really meets that craving even though it is a huge symbol of the Confederacy, darn it Ga!

I seriously love how my posts seem to evolve because I didn't even set out to talk about Stn. Mtn...oh well...Until Next Time..

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blogger TrackerBlogger Templates