For Freedom Not For Beauty
There’s a beauty that lives so deep inside each of us.
There’s a fickle eye that doesn’t believe anything it sees.
There’s a benefit in love that erases all doubt and believes good intentions.
There’s an ear that isn’t free enough to give the honest man the benefit of the doubt cluttered by lies not-mentioned.
Since when is creativity subject to criticism?
When is honesty subject to a jury of fears who wouldn’t believe rain if it fell, or sun if it shined?
Sometimes a flower grows when no ones watching.
Sometimes a bird sings and no one hears.
There’s a meadow no one runs on and a cloud no one names
And what would the sky be with out the sun?
What would the earth be with out its rose?
They’d still be the sky and the Earth.
So perhaps there is a peace in becoming.
Perhaps the meaning is in the experience and not the sight.
Maybe a flower grows because it suffocates under ground.
Whether or not she is always noticed, beauty must become.
She doesn’t look for an eye.
She doesn’t listen for a voice.
She just becomes,
For Freedom Not For Beauty
-Chrisette MicheleThanks to CurlyNikki...the interview was great, here are two ques/answers that I particularly liked!
Chrisette: Do what’s best for you. What is your heart saying? Follow it. We are incredibly beautiful, us curly girls. Let’s be proud and supportive of each other. To be quite honest I’d have to say...are you ready for what I’m about to say? Ok... Don’t be one of those girls out there who have our beautiful curls but wear no smile, head is down, ain’t got no presence! Give it! Cat walk down the street! Rock that hair with the fiercest of outfits. This is not just a spiritual journey, it’s an incredible fashion statement that not everyone can wear! Treat it like a manicure or a new Prada bag and be the most amazing diva on your block. This beauty is fierce and it’s ours naturally! Let’s make each other proud! Amen?!
CN: Anything else you'd like to add?
Chrisette: I am so grateful for the bold acceptance I’ve received from my sisters. I think together we are breaking down barriers in the main stream and I’m excited about our journey ahead. There is a new integrity and honesty that we are experiencing that says “Take us as we are, or don’t take us at all”. There is a new pride rising from our community reminiscent of the times when we knew each others poetry, and held our fists in the air. We are going to support each others new business ventures, we are going to see each other in graduate schools, we will see each other in government and we will lift each other out of this depression. It starts in the heart and I pray I’ve inspired many of my sisters to follow theirs.
Until Next Time...

No comments:
Post a Comment