Friday, April 2, 2010

Ann Cooper: Food= Health, Part 2

As I continue the series on school lunch and it's importance on the epidemiology of Disease and the future of our country, Ann Cooper is name that must be mentioned. I saw her speak on TedTalk Tuesdays and it was even more fact filled and riveting than Jamie Oliver. If I tried to summarize and present her ideas I am sure that I will be unable to do her justice. She is definitely a trailblazer for the type of reform that needs to take place in school across America. Below are some quick facts about Ann Cooper and below that will be the video... A must see!!

Why you should listen to her:

Ann Cooper has a frontline view of the daily battle to keep kids healthy -- and of the enemy, the processed-foods industries that, it sometimes seems, want to wrap every single thing that children eat in a fried coating and then a plastic bag. As the director of nutrition services for the Berkeley (California) Unified School District, she's an outspoken activist for serving fresh, sustainable food to kids. Her lively website, LunchLessons.org, rounds up recipes, links, and resources for food activism.
Cooper's influential program in Berkeley involves kids in every stage of the food they eat, from growing to disposing of it. And along the way, eating some delicious cafeteria lunches.
She's the author of several books, including Bitter Harvest, an examination of the food chain, and her latest, Lunch Lessons: Changing the Way We Feed Our Children.


















Until Next Time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blogger TrackerBlogger Templates