So yesterday I was having a great convo with a friend about marriage. And I brought up the whole "wives submit to your husband" thing and "men should be the head of the household" verse/paradigm. So I have always wrestled with idea... but it initially came to the top of my mind this past Sunday.
I went to my LS's church and they started baptizing people in the middle of the service (which kind of caught me off guard)...anyways there was a husband and wife couple that were getting baptized together (which was awesome), and the two men had the wife just about to dunk her in the water...and then the pastor is like "WAIT, no we need to baptize the man first because he is the head of the household"... and they practically push (ok not really), but they move the lady out of the way and then baptize the husband...then the church goes wild..lots of clapping and "hallelujahs".. then they baptize the wife... it was just a weird moment. Maybe if they had already planned to do the husband first, but...that bothered me a little... (what happened to ladies first?)
So I say all that to say...hmm...this head of the household/wives submit to your husbands thing is weird for me... It's in Ephesians 5:22-24
22Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. 23For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.
25Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26to make her holy, cleansing[b] her by the washing with water through the word, 27and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself.
So umm... definitely not completely sure how I feel about..it of course doesn't sit well with me, just given the type of person that I am. I also think both men and women should "submit" to each other. But that whole subservient/submissive role isn't going down...not ALL the time...
Until Next Time...
i completely agree. i did a research paper on the Bible a couple weeks ago and honestly the stuff about women is crazy. women/wives were like property back then(literally, bought and sold, and could be returned if the "goods" were damaged) and i think it's crazy to try to apply some of those old rules to our lives today when their views were completely different.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for your comment Chas... I just needed to know that I'm not the only one noticing these things. Yes people still try and apply those things to today. The improper justification for so many things can be found in the bible. The literal interpretation that many people try and take just isn't working...and I think you can see that especially when it comes to women. I wouldn't mind reading your paper..you can email it to me (yes i'm a nerd.lol)
ReplyDelete