Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Thinking vs. Voting

So today I received the Emory Quadrangle...one of Emory's multiple publications to keep alumni (that's me!!) informed about what is going on in the University.Well the dean's letter actually had such a great impact on me, and it summarized how I feel about college and what a "good" university provides...

"In this larger sense, our faculty and students fill every minute of the school year and every square foot of Emory with debate. In classes and conference rooms, offices and labs all over campus, debate is constantly afoot. A good liberal arts college is the world's greatest debate team. In the classroom, faculty go out of their way to present multiple theories and ideas. Critical thinking requires this and follows from it: proposing, sorting, weighing, considering. The point is to examine all truth, new or received, and reach and informed judgment on their merits. 

We are all here to think, in other words, not to take sides and defend them at any cost. 'Thinking' as Robert Frost once noted, 'is not agreeing or disagreeing. That is voting.'" - Dean Robert Paul


As noted above, I think any great collegiate environment is one in which great conversation/debate can be held. This usually arises from differing opinions and background. A main problem I had with a particular professor at my current school is that he presented his opinions in class as "fact." And no one seemed to have an issue with it because their opinions agreed with his. Definitely frustrating. I like the fact that in Emory's vision statement it includes that it is "Inquiry-driven, ethically engaged, and diverse community."

I don't think that I can say my current school can be characterized by any of those adjectives. That is a major problem I had with it this semester. Anyways...I know that professional school is definitely different from Undergrad, but still...in the few classes that aren't purely science facts and memorization. It would have been nice to gain some sort of perspective on the world. There is a lot more that I want to say with this post, so I'll try and finish it later before I start rambling...

Until Next Time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blogger TrackerBlogger Templates