Today I went to work with my mother. She is a research nurse and she is employed by Emory's School of Medicine but works at Grady Hospital. It was pretty cool. I got to see all of the staff (nurses, doctors, other folks) that I havent seen in a while. As a child, I spent a lot of time in her office, part of the reason why I knew that I wanted to have a career in the health field.
So today was interesting because my mother was pretty much a celebrity. I know that she is a very outgoing and charismatic woman, but it has been a while since I have had the opportunity to see her in her element. It seemed as though every turn we made in that HUGE hospital, she knew someone. And if she didn't know them, she decided to strike up a conversation with them.
The cool but weird part is whenever she introduced me as her daughter, they first knew EVERYTHING about me; the fact that I just graduated and that I was starting optometry school this fall (most even knew it was in St. Louis). I was like geesh. They asked about my sisters and my nephew and everyone...I was like wow...My mom clearly LOVES her family and she is sooo very proud of me (us). The second thing that everyone immediately said was how loving, caring, and funny my mom is. They kept saying how she is such a joy to be around...It made me feel really happy and every single person kept saying that I should be honored to have her as my mom.
As I get older, I have come to love and appreciate my family. They truly are awesome people and I am indeed honored to have them in my life, especially my mom, who keeps me sane. Even though I distracted her from completing most of her work, I left the day feeling very happy. It also gave me something to strive for and I hope I can be even half as charismatic and loving as my mom is. Until Next Time...
No comments:
Post a Comment