Saturday, March 26, 2011

Earth Hour, "Lights Out"

Hey Guys!! I want to first say, "IT'S SPRING BREAK!!!" Woohoo... But (yes there is always a but)... The first one is unfortunately I'm still in St. Louis... womp womp. The even bigger womp is, it snowed this morning... Yes. It is officially Spring, but it snowed this morning. Needless to say it is below freezing right now. Anyhow, I am glad to have this small break. I'll be going home later on in the week, but I have a lot of stuff that I needed to get done, and I know I would have just worried about them at home. So I needed to just stay, suck it up and get all of my extra work done. 


Ok so back to the reason I came to write this post. Currently I am in the dark, typing by candle light. Why? It's not because I didn't pay my light bill, but today is the day that "Earth Hour" is being observed.

So what is Earth Hour? It is a movement that was started in 2007, to observe an hour out of the day (8:30-9:30, your time zone), in which all lights would be turned off. Sounds simple right... Exactly. I think it is is awesome, that people are so concerned about the earth and the fact that we as humans really need to be more sustainable.

Since living on my own, I have become way more conscious about the amount of my personal electricity use. Even as a child, my mom would constantly "remind/nag" us about turning off the light when you leave a room or turning off the TV. After a couple electricity bills that have been extremely high, I have adopted the same principles.

Yesterday when I was driving home, at the "wee" hours of the morning, I was one of the few cars on the road, and I could help but notice how many lights were on.. It was actually quite baffling. I live by several car dealerships and the parking lot was so bright it was outrageous. Many stores and buildings had so many lights on even though they had long closed for the light. The amount of energy that we are using is taxing our environment and just because we dont see the impact directly, does not mean it is not happening.

Gas has now reached the highest that it has ever been since I have started driving. Currently it is ~3.46 a gallon. It hurts every single time I go to the gas station. Ugh...

Below is some more detailed information about Earth Hour and some really cool pictures!!


Earth Hour is held on Saturday March 27 at 8.30pm-9.30pm and succeeds in being a global call to action to stand up, to take responsibility, and lead the global journey to a sustainable future. A record 128 countries and territories take part and iconic buildings and landmarks from Asia Pacific to Europe and Africa to the Americas stand in darkness.


http://www.aolnews.com/2011/03/26/earth-hour-2011-photos/




Earth Hour is a global grass-roots movement encouraging individuals, businesses and governments around the world to take positive actions for the environment, and celebrating their commitment to the planet by switching off their lights for one designated hour.
Earth Hour 2011 aims to show the actions that people, businesses and governments world-wide are taking to reduce their environmental impact. Thereby establishing and encouraging others to join an interconnected global community engaged in dialogue and resource sharing that generates real solutions to environmental challenges.
The highlight of Earth Hour 2011 will see the world’s most iconic landmarks go dark for one designated hour, as hundreds of millions of people transcend race, religion, culture, society, generation and geography, switching off their lights in a global celebration of their commitment to protect the one thing that unites us all – the planet.

Until Next Time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Blogger TrackerBlogger Templates